Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Today's epiphany....all of you are smarter than me!



"None of us are as smart or as dumb as all of us"

This is one of those paradoxical thoughts that got stuck in my head.   How could that be true?   Well I figured it out.

None of us are as dumb as all of us...

Think of a mob?    Mobs don't have rational thoughts.   Their collective thoughts usually react in very stupid and irrational ways, right?   Even fans react in silly and rediculous ways.    A sports team loses and the fans riot.    It's only a game! 

Then what about meetings?    Most people that are forced to endure many meetings will only to happily inform you that they are most a waste of time.    Even brainstorming sessions have been found to be less productive than if the group broke up and worked individually.   

So none of us are as dumb as all of us.

None of us are as smart as all of us...

Conversely an online crowd can generate ideas far beyond what any individual can.   I've even seen this in evidence on facebook and on my blog.  Sometimes I'll put out an idea and am amazed at how others quickly piggy back on my idea and improve it.   And their are lots of collaborative sites that prove out this theory daily.  

So none of us are as smart as all of us.

What makes the difference?

Physical contact.     It seems once we are in physical contact within a group then ego, prejudice, power, sex and a whole lot of other factors dumb us down.

"If its going to be fun I can't be the only one"

So what should we do?

Heck if I know, I just started thinking about this.   But since I know that all of my online friends are smarter than me alone.....I'll leave it up to you to leave a suggestion?

No comments:

Post a Comment