Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Prediciting your future is actually quite easy

 


"People can change but they rarely do"

Aristotle said, 'the unexamined life is not worth living'. Nice try Aristotle but I think you should have been more specific. You should have said, the unexamined habits make life not worth living. He also said, we are the product of intelligent evolution. Well some of us are, I'm just not sure which ones of us he was talking about.

"Choose your habits or they will choose you"

After examining some of my habits I came to the conclusion that most of them were not of my choosing. I just adapted the habits of others in positions of authority over me as I grew up. Parents, teachers, churches and peers habituated much of my thinking. Some of my inherited habits are pretty good; I shower every morning and brush my teeth after most meals. No problem there. As for my bad habits....none of your business (but thanks for asking).

"Habits can make life fun, easy and abundant OR hard and difficult"

Refusing to change your habits is tantamount to refusing to control your own life. It drives me nuts when someone says...but I've always done it that way. Especially when that way isn't working. Show me your habits and I can predict your future better than any psychic, astrologer or fortune teller.

Let me give you a few examples of how easy it is to predict someones future. First, lets imagine someone has the procrastination habit. I can predict that sooner or later something is going to come back to bite them in the butt. I can safely predict that if someone has the kindness habit that they will make a very good and loyal friend.

The girl with the doormat habit is destined to be mistreated. The one with denial habit will pay a bad price in the future. The poor slob with the couch potato habit is going to become fat and have health problems. See how easy this is?

Examine the habits of the people you know and you will easily be able to predict a lot of what will happen in the future to them. You won't be right 100% of the time but I'll guarantee you will be right 90% of the time. And you tell me what fortune teller is right 90% of the time?

Any school teacher can fairly accurately tell which students will succeed in the future. Are they always accurate? No, but they accurate 90% of the time. They get to see up close for extended periods of time the habits of the kids they teach. As I said, people can change but they rarely do and is true of the kids as well.

Its easy to predict the futures of others by examining their habits but what's tough is to examine your own habits honestly. Too many of us have adopted a denial habit. We need the help of a trusted friend to give us some honest answers about our good and bad habits.

"You are controlled through your habits"

One of the reasons we live in such an obese society is that we are being controlled by the food industry through our habits. Pick up most any packaged food and read the label. It usually contains high amounts of sugar, salt and sometimes MSG. The reason they are in so many foods is because we easily become addicted to their taste. The food industry bombards us with advertising to get us started on packaged foods and then we become addicted and develop a bad dietary habit. Yep, in no time they've got us by habits. Because big waists equal big profits!
 
Later I'll write about how to have a swap meet for your habits.    Exchanging a bad habit for a good one!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment