Tuesday, May 7, 2013
The Public Praiser.....instant likeability and more persuasive
"We are most easily persuaded by those who like and admire us"
Even the most powerful people appreciate public praise. I have yet to witness anyone who disliked having kind words said about them to others. Some may say it embarrases them and maybe that is so but inside they love it. When we are witness to someone telling others about how wonderful or talented we are it causes us to like that person. It just feels good.
But wait it gets better...
When you praise someone in public it doesn't just affect the person on the receiving end of the praise. It also affects those that are witness to the praise. It has a positive affect on their opinion of the one doing the praising. We like those that are generous to others as long as we believe they are sincere. If it is phony praise meant to suck up to someone important then it becomes an exteme negative and can ruin your reputation.
5 Benefits of being a public praiser...
1. Whatever resistance to you or your ideas is melted away by the appreciation for a sincere compliment made in public. That person is then open to at least hearing out your requests or ideas.
2. Deepens the bonds of friendship and likeability.
3. It is a confidence builder for both you and the other person.
4. As long as it is perceived as genuine others will admire you and sometimes secretely wonder if you might one day praise them publicly.
5. When you get really good at it, you can make people cry (especially women) and nobody calls you a jerk for doing it.
When you shine the spotlight on someone else they will love you for it. And the good news is that praise can be divided infinitly and never be diminished. Making others feel good also makes us feel good.
And it gets even better...
I've gotten a lot of really great hugs out it which was more than worth the price of admission for me.
Something to really think about...
"If you get your business based on the best price, product or service; you could lose that business when someone with a better price, product or service comes along. However, if they like you then you really have to screw up before they will take their business elsewhere"