"All things being equal we will always choose to do business with those we like. All things NOT being equal, we will still choose to do business with those we like"
Guess who are the most trusted people in the world according to a U.S. study? For men it is Tom Hanks and for women it is Sandra Bullock. Huh? I thought they would say someone like the Dali Lama or Jane Goodall. Nope. They chose two movie stars and the question is why? The answer is because they are (or at least their movie personas) so darn likeable. Think about that? Likeability equals trust!
Now you can see why I say likeability is the best short cut to success. If they like you, they are inclined to trust you. If they trust you they are more likely to buy what you are selling or grant you favors. Both your business and personal life gets easier if you are liked. So what makes people likeable?
Here are 12 traits of highly likeable people"
1. We are attracted to healthy and attractive people. All through their lives healthy and attractive people get preferential treatment. This is even more so when it comes to women. So if you are not blessed with good looks what can you do? Read on...
2. They mile and laugh a ton. Laughter is contagious and smiles are reciprocated. You would have to work hard not to like someone who smiles and laughs a lot. The best humor is self deprecating. Making fun of others is a turn off.
3. They project a warm, energetic and strong personality. This makes them appear confident.
4. They listen more than they talk. They ask lots of questions about you and your interests. People LOVE to talk about themselves and the things they are passionate about.
4. They are 'public praisers'. They are the first to sing someones praises in front of others. Imagine you are in a group and someone tells the others about how great you are? Yeah, that feels really good.
5. They don't hand out compliments like its coming out of the bank accounts. The give sincere compliments. And yes flattery feels good as long as the recipient can convince himself he deserves it.
6. They make lots of eye contact.
7. They ask us for advice. It makes us feel good to asked for advice or our opinion. It makes us feel good to know that you value what we have to say.
8. They are honest, reliable and trustworthy. We know we can count on them.
9. They are like us in many ways. So we are comfortable with them. So you should 'seek the similarities' between the other person and yourself. The more you find the more comfortable they will be with you.
10. For instant likeability, when you meet someone greet them like a friend! This has an amazing effect on people. Treat them like a friend and at a subconsious level they will feel like you are a friend.